Sunday, April 16, 2006

Faith in Humanity

I went to check out the New York Auto Show in Manhattan’s Javits Center. Thousands of visitors crowded the huge expo center to see hundreds of the latest (2007) models and concept cars from Porsche and Maseratti to Bentley and Lexus, Maybach, Jaguar, Infinity, Aston Martin, Ford’s Super Chief, Mazda, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, BMW, Saturn’s new Outlook and Sky, Buick, Acura, Audi, Chrysler, Hummer, Volkswagen, Toyota, and more. All the top makers were on the floor strutting their stuff.

The show kind of restored my faith in humanity. Seeing all those people made me think: people are real. Whole families are out there living, interacting, looking good. The decadence, wealth and glamour of America is on display (insert cute french phrase here). I think of Israel, where all I see on the road are white Skodas, some Mercedes' and busses. Only here in NYC (and perhaps a select number of other locations world-wide) could we afford such a massive display. Millions of dollars worth of cars and trucks are on display. Not to mention staffing costs, transportation costs, design costs and display technology, and all manner of costs I didn’t think of. The effect is very beautiful.

Still, my nagging nihilism is not completely assuaged. I can't for the life of me figure out why to live. What justifies existence?

No comments: