Sunday, March 16, 2008

Picks of the Week

Go to Hulu.com. Now.

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Give up iTunes TV downloads (except that they do get LOST before anyone else does), Joost is for losers (ok, they do have some old-school stuff and freaky cable picks you won't find elsewhere). Hulu finally got it right. The best of the old TV marries the best of the internet, and you get free ad-supported content with bonuses like fast-forward, rewind, download to your library, etc. You don't need to download crappy software, you don't need to register and sign up. You don't need to pay for content. Just turn it on and watch. On demand. 30 Rock, The Simpsons, House, Heroes, that creepy show that's like the Simpsons but more crude - you know what I mean, I don't need to name that filth - it's got a guy Peter in it?, New Amsterdam, The Office, SNL, and a whole lot more.

JuicyCampus is also worth a look, but only a cursory one. Promising, but ultimately unsuccessful.

Live in New York? Want to see the city outside the walls of your home? You need TONY. Ah, there may be others (nymag.com) but this was good today. What have you done for me lately?

Tripadvisor.com was kinda helpful too. The coolest feature is the option to simultaneously get automatic rate quotes from expedia, priceline, orbitz and a bunch of other sites for the hotel dates you want.

P.S. If you are wondering why this post says it was written at 6:30 AM, that is because it was. If you think it odd that I would wake up this early on a Sunday morning, you are right. I didn't wake up. That would be odd indeed. I haven't gone to sleep. Last night I couldn't sleep, then I finally fell asleep and overslept. Then I woke up, went out, met some friends, had a few drinks, ate a brunch and went back to sleep. Then I woke up, did some reading, ate some more, showered, and proceeded to waste the rest of the night consuming audio-visual entertainment media with a brief break to explain to my boyfriend* why he wouldn't be seeing me tonight (and a bit of what could have been phone-text-sex if we'd kept it up a bit longer).

No comments: